I will always be impressed with the never-ending list of things that can be accomplished with coconut oil. It’s definitely one of my favorite oils to cook with because it has a high smoke point and a delicate coconut flavor that I love, but coconut oil also:
-Supports a healthy inflammatory response
-Contains antibacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral properties
-Improves memory and brain function
-Aids your body’s natural ability to balance hormones
It’s also ideal for making a quick, healthy chocolate to dunk juicy Mandarin orange slices into! Coconut oil hardens as it cools, so a few minutes in the fridge post-dip creates these perfect little bites for a pretty appetizer or dessert.
For the white dipped slices, I used coconut butter—a creamy blend of coconut meat and coconut oil. Once you dip your orange slices, don’t forget the finishing touch! A sprinkle of coarse sea salt and chopped pistachios balance the sweetness and add great texture and decoration.
6-8 Mandarin Oranges
3 Tablespoons Coconut Oil melted
2.5 Tablespoons Earth Fare Organic Cacao Powder
1 Tablespoon Earth Fare Honey
Earth Fare Coarse Sea Salt
1/3 cup Coconut Butter
1. Add the coconut oil, cacao powder, and honey to a small bowl and whisk to combine. Place the mixture in the refrigerator for about 5 minutes to thicken slightly. While the chocolate thickens, peel the oranges and separate into segments.
2. Remove the chocolate from the refrigerator and whisk again until it”s smooth. Return it to the refrigerator for a few minutes if needed (you want the chocolate to be thin enough to dip, but thick enough to coat the oranges with a thick layer of chocolate.)
3. Once you have the right consistency, dip the orange segments into the chocolate and lay them flat on a parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt after you dip each slice, before the chocolate begins to harden.
4. In a separate bowl, heat about 1/3 cup of coconut butter until you have a similar consistency as the chocolate. Dip the remaining orange slices into the coconut butter, laying them flat and sprinkling with chopped pistachios after you dip each one.
5. Place the dipped oranges into the refrigerator to harden for 5-10 minutes. Remove and serve!